Monday, November 17, 2008

Hunting, Horseplay and Hatching


It was a big weekend for little Jessie who at almost 12 months old went on her first rabbit hunt. As I am not one for banging rabbits on the head with a big stick there are no action style photos. I haven't actually been ferreting and I suppose I envisaged a sort of stampede of rabbits thundering out of the nets and being set upon by men with sticks. Yuk. In fact Jessie and Coco made a good team, with the help of the boys admittedly and they got 4. James insists this is because we don't have that many rabbits on the place but as I get up at 5.30 most mornings to go running on my crazy fitness phase I see all the cute babies happily bouncing about like those little chocolate Lindt bunnies at Easter time. I think they are smarter than we think. Anyway, Jessie came when whistled, didn't bite anyone and was so tired in the end she refused to go down any more holes and just lay in her box. She slept for 24 hours and seems to be recovering well. Now she looks at me like Coco waiting for a walk when I walk past on the way to the veg garden. James is very proud.
Every Wednesday Emily and I have been taking Ruth out so she can have a riding lesson and Ruth can get some exercise. Mickey thinks this is terrific and delights in attempting to play with me as he would another horse. This involved galloping around towards me, rearing up, jumping about and generally being a pain in the bum....even his Mum gives a sigh and looks at me as if to say 'boys..what can I do about him'. We decided it was time he learnt some manners...or at least got used to a head collar so he is a bit more controllable. James held him whilst I put the headcollar on and gave him a good rub down. On coming back about 10 minutes later he was throwing the head collar about with gay abandon. Similar results were achieved by letting him lick a sugar cube instead of being restrained...he stood quite still to have it buckled up but I am sure it will be off again tomorrow morning.

Wendy the silky has done me proud this time hatching 9 out of the 10 duck eggs that were under her. On cleaning out the nest of old egg shells and 2 unhatched eggs we discovered one of them was cheeping. It had a chicken ceasarean (okay duckling) and we left him beside Mum to bond. On coming back about 1/2 an hour later the poor little thing was covered in ants who were eating him alive. He was dunked in water and looked as though he had one eye..thereby being christened 'Winky'. Maternal urges poured forth from me as usual and the kids took it in turns to warm him up and cuddle him. What is another pet duck to add to the flock I reasoned with James. He regained the use of his eye after 24 hours and became quite demanding...and quite strong. I kept finding him running about in the house cheeping for someone to feed him. James decided enough was enough and put him back with his brothers and sisters. We waiting anxiously but apparently imprinting is reversible dammit - he is happily living back with the whole lot and doesn't even recognise me when I go and visit him. The other two duckens, despite all our best intentions of eating them have gone off to a new home as I got too used to seeing them wandering about outside and resolve weakened. They are currently nestling up to the rooster and not showing any recognition of the other ducks that are at the farm presently. They may end up on someone's table afterall but we are all hoping that instinct kicks in soon.