Thursday, November 27, 2008

Countdown to Christmas

Not only are the kids eagerly awaiting the 'chocolate calendar' that they so fondly remember from last year, James and I are counting down in our own way. 30 hams down, 70 to go. After our 6 months of production we have stockpiled 101 hams for the festive season. They went off yesterday to be cured and smoked and will return back next week. Assuming we will have one here for the big day we are left with 100 to sell. Both of us are outwardly confident but inwardly hoping we don't end up with a lot left over. Orders have been coming in on a daily basis so the ham count goes down each day. We have also sent off 6 sides of bacon to make sure that nobody misses out on that either. The Christmas market run starts next week with Sydney then continues for 3 weekends until we finish on the 20th with Mudgee and Dubbo markets. I guess I then have 2 days to do my Christmas shopping and generally do everything last minute. All attempts to find a rare/heritage breed turkey pair to breed up here have not given me much hope. I will hopefully find something next spring so our rare breed turkeys may be a while coming.

I have declared war on kikuyu grass which I am unfortunately losing. It is very grateful for the irrigation in the vegetable patch and is cunningly trying to strangle everything that is growing in there by putting its roots deep underground and outmanouvering me every time I think I have a solution. I have gone back to digging, pulling and feeding to the pigs in fear that if I put it in the compost it will show up in vegetable patch no. 2 (my contingency plan) which has been built up in an area with no grass around it whatsoever. It is currently being battered by the chickens but at least has no slugs and slaters in it.

Last Monday poor Beccie died unexpectedly of an infection that happened very quickly. Being the hardened farmer that I am I admit I obviously cried my eyes out - she was such a lovely gentle pig (and had bloody big litters with piglets that grew like the clappers) so it was all very disappointing. It brought up the inevitable problem that we had been avoiding of how on earth we were going to dispose of 250 kg of dead pig. Luckily the local earthmover who buries many a horse around here very kindly came up first thing and buried her...and yes, I am going to plant a flower on the grave.