Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sausage Making for Beginners...

My first announcement this posting is that I am surely almost a proper farmer in that I can now drive our ancient tractor. After a lesson with James that had me glibbering with the fear that once false move and the whole thing would tip up and kill me (and that was only one of the probable scenarios) I turned the key with a very white face and a shaking hand. Attempting to push the clutch in required me to grip the steering wheel and stand up in order to put enough weight on it to make it shift, and then screaming many obscenities and hoping the kids didn't hear we lurched into motion. As I trundled up the drive at about 5 miles an hour I didn't feel like I was on the machine of death, however I continue to have a healthy respect for it after my lessons in reversing and going through gateposts (which are luckily still standing). On a similar upbeat note my cheese starter actually worked this week, and I am off to look at a new goat on the weekend to join the dairy.. although I haven't actually attempted any more cheese at this point.

Although I don't have the photos to prove it - as we were sweating/swearing and running too much to even think about it - yesterday was the first weaner weigh day. After finishing the fencing we decided to drive them through the laneway and into the cattle yards for a quick hop on the scales as a bit of a practice (because obviously it would be that easy). Woody and Coco watched eagerly from outside the fence and we managed to get some of the weaners into the laneway with food (I think next week they need to be starved a little first as some were just too smart). At some point Woody got through the fence and although he doesn't know any commands actually was surprisingly helpful. He had absolutely no fear of the pigs (and at one point shared a touching nose to nose with one that was thinking about charging him). He heeled behind and seemed to just know to stay a fair way back to push them on without them breaking up and panicking - happily, he also responds well to shouting. When we got down to the cattle yards one tried to make a break for it but he managed to eye it back in. We were feeling very proud of him so proceeded to bark incessantly outside the yards just to let us know that he should have been in there making a nuisance of himself.